The BrahMos supersonic cruise missile is difficult to be cut off by surface to air missiles deployed on leading warships around the globe.
India and Russia have jointly developed the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.
BrahMos, the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile, was successfully flight tested from Pokhran Rajasthan test range. In a milestone, the air-launched variant of the BrahMos was successfully test fired from Sukhoi-30 in November 2017. The cruise missile is supersonic, which has the speed greater than that of sound. Work in the process to affiliate the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile on Sukhoi-40 combat aircraft that is assumed to fulfill critical requirements of the Indian Air Force in the wake of evolving security potent in the region.
Here is your 10-point important thing of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile-
- The BrahMos- the fastest cruise missile of its class in the world.
- The BrahMos- Missile flies almost three times greater than the speed of sound at Mach 2.8 and has a range of 290 km.
- The BrahMos has been jointly developed with Russia and India, is named after the rivers Brahmaputra and Moskva in Russia.
- The BrahMos has been inducted into the Navy and Army from 2006 onwards but the latest version is more versatile than the earlier.
- Different from other warships, a BrahMos armed Sukhoi-30 can fly 1,500 kilometers in the direction of a hostile target out at sea.
- The BrahMos is extremely difficult to be cut off by surface to air missiles deployed on leading warships around the globe.
- The range of the BrahMos missile can be grown up to 400 km as few technical limitations were removed after India became a full member of the Missile Technology Control Regime or MTCR in 2016.
- The BrahMos missile is the heaviest weapon to be deployed on India’s Sukhoi-30 fighter aircraft.
- The project is presumed to be completed by 2020.
- The capability of the Indian Air Force to strike from large stand-off ranges on any target in sea or land is calculated to go up numerous once the project is completed.